Performances: every Saturday and Sunday ? 13:00
Ticket price: 4 GEL (children up to 3 are free of charge)
Since January 14, 2016, Batumi Puppet and Youth Theatre has resumed its creative activities in the reconstructed building. With supplementary floor and a summer hall added to the main structure, this historic building bears the status of the monument of cultural heritage.
The idea to establish a puppet theatre was first materialized in 1930. According to the historical sources,its grand opening took place in 1936 with the play ‘Kako’s Tricks’. The bilingual program in the theatre, based on Georgian and foreign plays used to offer diverse performances to the youth. Reportedly, support from the ‘Muslim Georgia Charity Society’, led by Memed Abashidzebecame the reason whyBatumi Puppet Theatre was shutdownin 1938.It wasn’t until 1980 that a permanentstate puppet theatre was finally launchedin Batumi. Georgian puppetmaster, professor Givi Sarchimelidze who was appointed as its main director instructed a number of actors and directors there. Thetheatre was often represented on international festivals and competitions. The institutionwas involved in numerous collaborations with paintersand composers. Its programs were enrichedand developed year by year.